About the Division of Program Integrity
The Division of Program Integrity is responsible for reviewing allegations involving NIH programs and activities. DPI is responsible for conducting reviews of allegations involving (1) misuse of NIH grant or contractor funds, (2) grantee or contractor conflicts of interest, and (3) other misconduct or misuse of NIH resources by NIH employees or others doing business with NIH.
OIG Office of Investigations
DPI is also responsible for collaborating with the HHS Office of Inspector General (OIG). DPI liaises and collaborates with HHS OIG Investigations and the OIG Hotline as follows:
- Reviews cases that the OIG refers to NIH for administrative action when the Department of Justice (DoJ) declines prosecution.
- Refers cases to the OIG for investigation when there are indicators of possible criminal violations.
- Participates in providing advice to the OIG and DoJ regarding False Claims Act (31 U.S.C. §§ 3729-3733) cases that involve NIH programs.
- Coordinates responses to information requests for OIG investigations of NIH programs or employees.
- Has lead responsibility for cases received through the OIG Hotline.